BASIC FUNCTION: The Technology Support Specialist provides end-user support and troubleshooting for office personnel and is responsible for the day-to-day maintenance of the local area network hardware, Microsoft Server, email, and firewall administration. Also assists the Information Systems Manager with the implementation of new technologies, coordinating field installations and upgrade initiatives, and facilitating field activities such as software upgrades, new hardware rollouts, and field training.
WORK HOURS: Full-time, exempt
OFFICE LOCATION: 108 E. Willow Street, Normal, IL 61761; Also provides technology assistance at two other Baby Fold locations in Normal, IL, and one in Springfield, IL
- PC/Network Administration: Assists in the purchasing and support of all components of the agency network. Responsible for maintenance and security of the local area network (LAN) including setting and maintaining security, virus protection and back up procedures. Ensures the stable operation of the work stations, servers, network software systems and network connectivity, including day to day maintenance of network backups and hardware maintenance. Configures, maintains and upgrades workstations, copiers, printers, agency PDA devices and laptop computers. Works with IS Manager in designing technical systems and architecture. Serves as back-up to the Information Systems Manager for on-call support.
- Technical Support: Installs and configures agency software. Performs hardware and software upgrades to existing equipment as needed. Responds to end-user needs and concerns relating to computer business applications and general systems issues in timely fashion. Provides support for all agency hardware, including Hewlett-Packard, Dell, HP Blade Servers, monitors, and printers. Provides support for network software, including Microsoft Office, Windows, and Windows Server. Responds to Helpdesk requests and calls related to computer applications and general systems issues. Diagnoses and resolves technical problems, problem escalation and solution tracking. Assists with moves, adds, and changes of technology equipment. Coordinates the activities of outside service technicians as necessary. Educates employees regarding proper computer use.
- Software Assistance: Maintains vehicle reservation calendar. Assists with maintaining and organizing SharePoint sites. Actively contributes ideas and supports the team in the implementation of business process improvements and solutions. Assists with phone support to users for Microsoft Office Products. Assists in determining agency software purchases based on need, feasibility and cost effectiveness. Assists with the purchase, tracking, and compliance of application software licenses, agency-wide. Contacts software and database vendors as needed for technical support and updates. Provides vendors with the information necessary to assist and support the end-users.
- Documentation Functions: Assists with updating and maintaining technology policy and procedure manual. Assists with updating technology training documents. Assists with updating and maintaining agency policy and procedures. Maintains tracking system for software and hardware purchases. Maintains inventory for hardware, software, and supplies. Performs data entry and completes reports. Assists in developing and running system reports at required intervals.
- Telecommunication: Provides support for Cisco Call Manager, Cisco ATA device, Cisco IP Phone, Unity voice mail system. Provides support cellular phones, fax machines, and pagers. Resolves basic maintenance and support issues.
- Purchasing: Assists with acquiring quotes from vendors and making purchases. Assists with researching and evaluating software and hardware purchases to meet agency needs. Responds to departmental hardware and software needs via the Help Desk as assigned.
- Quality Improvement: Contributes to quality improvement through active participation in Quality Improvement activities.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of three years of relevant technical experience, including Microsoft Windows Server experience.
- Demonstrated skills in Microsoft Office applications.
- Proficiency with basic PC hardware and the software applications used by The Baby Fold.
- Understanding of Internet, Intranet, Extranet and client/server architectures.
- Ability to work cooperatively as a team member with other agency staff.
- Ability to organize efficiently, handle multiple project responsibilities simultaneously, prioritize work, work independently, and resolve technical emergencies as they may occur.
- Valid driver’s license and use of a personal vehicle with adequate insurance in order travel between The Baby Fold’s offices.
- Must pass drug screen and necessary background checks.
- Demonstrated competence in serving a culturally diverse population. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a diverse workforce.
- Mission-oriented and able to apply The Baby Fold’s beliefs and standards to the performance of job duties.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, kneel, crouch, crawl, bend, stretch, and twist; use hands to type, write, or handle objects; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must sometimes lift and/or move computers, electronics and/or related equipment up to 80 pounds. Must have the physical ability to enter work-related environments that are not handicap accessible.
Vision and hearing requirements: Close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus; visually and/or auditorially assess the condition and functionality of computers, phones, fax machines, printers and other and electronic devices and equipment; and communicate effectively with, staff, clients, and others in person, by telephone, and in writing.
Cognitive abilities: Employees must be able to use deductive reasoning to apply general rules to specific problems; demonstrate problem sensitivity to tell when something is wrong or likely to go wrong; demonstrate social perceptiveness by being aware of others’ reactions and why they act as they do; and use self awareness to be aware of one’s feelings and behaviors.
To apply, print out an application and send to:
The Baby Fold
108 E. Willow St.
Normal, IL 61761
Fax: (309) 452-0115
Applications are also available at this address.
The Baby Fold is an Equal Opportunity Employer.