HAMMITT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Hammitt specializes in helping young students (ages 3-15) who have behavior or emotional disorder, specific learning disabilities, mental impairment, health impairment, speech and language impairment, autism and traumatic brain injury. Students are referred to Hammitt by their local public school district based on their need for more intensive special education services to achieve success in school.
Students with Autism who attend Hammitt Elementary School typically represent the more severe students on the Autism Spectrum, with complex sensory, communication, and behavioral needs that have significantly impacted their ability to function independently and make educational progress in less restrictive learning environments.
Hammitt Elementary School is committed to making school a positive learning experience for our students. We do this through a combination of consistent positive reinforcement, small class sizes based on age and functioning level, and lots of loving patience.
The key components of Hammitt Elementary School include:
- A highly structured, positive learning environment to build self-esteem and encourage achievement.
- A flexible curriculum based on each child’s individual learning style and unique emotional needs.
- Small class sizes (8-9 students) and a low student-to-faculty ratio.
- Specialized services provided to the families of students to create a supportive home-school partnership
- TOPS program(Transition On to Public School) specifically designed to prepare students to re-enter the public school setting.
- Strong link to public school districts to provide transition services when students return to their home school
- Summer educational services as needed
- A Treatment Advisory Committee meets monthly to monitor the treatment and behavior management techniques at Hammitt to protect the right and insure the quality of services to children.
Hammitt School is located at the northwest corner of Willow and Linden Streets in Normal, Illinois. The main building is a two story structure of approximately 16,000 square feet housing six classrooms, a large multi-purpose room with gym and stage areas, Kitchen, nurses offices, media center, school office and three speech therapy rooms. An additional wing has seven classrooms and a food services area. The grounds include two fenced playgrounds and a large flag yard for games.
ACCREDITATION AND LICENSING
Hammitt School is approved by the Illinois State Board of Education as a non-public special education school. Hammitt is accredited by AdvancED. The Agency is licensed by the Department of Children and Family Services and accredited by the Council on Accreditation.